Friday, February 8, 2008

Why you pay so much for prescription drugs

Before automated phone services:

Receptionist: Thank you for calling Healthtrap. How may I direct your call?

Me: Hi, I'm calling from a pharmacy. I need a refill too soon override.

Receptionist: One moment while I transfer you to that department. Have a nice day.



After automated phone services:

Recorded Voice:
Thank you for calling Healthtrap. If you are calling from a doctor's office press 1. If from a pharmacy press 2.

Me: (2)

Recorded Voice: You pressed #2 if this is correct press #1 if not press #2

Me: (1)

Recorded Voice: If you are calling about a prior auth request press #1. If about a claim rejection press #2. If you need an override press #3.

Me: (3)

Recorded Voice: You pressed #3 if this is correct press #1 if not press #2

Me: (1)

Recorded Voice: Please enter the patient's I.D. number.

Me: (555221234)

Recorded Voice: You entered 555221234 if this is correct press #1.

Me: (1)

Recorded Voice: According to our records the patient's last name is Smith, first name John, Date of Birth 01/01/25. If this is correct press #1.

Me: (1)

Recorded Voice: Please hold while we transfer your call to the next available representative.

Me: (Waiting for twenty minutes while listening to the worst music ever made by man.)

Representive: Thank you for calling Healthtrap. How can I help you.

Me: Hi, I'm calling from a pharmacy. I need a refill too soon override.

Representive: Can I have the member number?

Me: Uh, I gave it to the computer. It's 555221234

Representative: Can I have the member's date of birth?

Me: The computer figured that out from the number.

Representive: I'm sorry sir?

Me: It's 01/01/25.

Representative: Can I have the member's name.

Me: (sigh) It's John Smith.

Representative: Now, how can I help you?

Me: As I was saying, I need a refill too soon override.

Representative: You've called the wrong number. This line is for claim rejections only.

Me: But this is a claim reject. It's a refill too soon reject! Your automated voice thing even gave me the option for overrides, I pressed #3! I don't want to go through another list of options, I just want an override!

Representative: I'm sorry sir, but you need our clinical department. Don't worry though I'll directly transfer you.

Me: Oh good, thank you.

Representative: Just one moment while I connect you.

Me: (A few moments go by and I hear a "click")

Recorded Voice: Thank you for calling Healthtrap. If you are calling from a doctor's office press 1. If from a pharmacy press 2.

No comments: