Wednesday, August 8, 2007

29

Today I turned 29. As birthdays go this has been a nice one. Autumn made me breakfast this morning, Bekah decorated my desk and took me to lunch, Saturday we'll probably get together with all my friends for dinner. Not a bad way to come into the last year of my twenties.

My birthdays used to be strange for me since I found out that I was adopted. I used to find myself wondering if there were people out there who thought about me on this day and would say something like, "You know, Shaun turned this old today." I guess I was just wondering if they remembered or cared.

Today I didn't find myself thinking about that. I have found my own family, put together of people that I would never have expected to play the large roles in my life that they have when I first met any of them. It's funny how the people that you'd never expect can become so important, while those who are supposed to be there aren't. I wouldn't trade them for anyone. Blood might be thicker than water, but life is more than either.

God is busy restoring those things that have been lost, even when we can't see the sense or reason in our day to day lives.

In other news, this months makes for 13 years of me following Jesus (and by following I mean going all over the place while periodically catching up with). The last 13 years have been a strange journey and I expect the next will be even stranger, but I wouldn't change it for anything. In a lot of ways I feel like I'm back at the beginning, knowing so little about God, but trying to trust Him so much. It's odd how much of life feels like a circle.

No comments: