Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Don't Want to Go

I have to go facilitate a Bible College class tonight and I really don't want to go. I feel lazy tonight and I just want to hang out and do nothing productive. Add to that the fact that the class is a evangelism class. I hated my evangelism class in College, it was a large joke only no one was laughing. It just cemented the fact in my mind that few Christians know how to relate or talk to the unchurched.

We come off as used car salesmen or as just plain nuts because we think It's all about telling the gospel as quick and as boldly as we can manage to the largest group of people we can find. I think this is because we have made the sinners' prayer the ultimate goal of evangelism. We have become so obsessed with how many hands were raised or how many decisions were made that we forget that our true call is to make disciples and that takes time.

If we would care enough about the lost to stop talking and listen for a little while we might discover that people will never care about the message until they know the messenger.

Anyway, off I go again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now and enjoy it. I totally understand what you are going through with the church plant. We helped start a church a little over 2 years ago and it is hard work. check it out
www.keystonechurch.com

Keep up the good work. You are encouraging.
Sandi

Shaun Bell said...

Thanks Sandi,

I'll check out your site.