Sunday, March 11, 2007

What I Read

One of the things I like to do the most is to read. I think that if you are going to be preaching on a regular basis you have to be constantly adding new stuff in your head so you've got something to deliver every week. This has never been a problem for me since I'm not too picky about what I read and I can usually rip through a book pretty fast.

For the last month or so I haven't been reading that much thanks to everything going on with the church, but I intend to get back in the habit in the next couple weeks I don't know what I'll start with yet but I have a few ideas.

For those of you who just have to know, here is what I normally read by category:

Non-fiction - I read a lot of history, it makes great sermon illustrations. Before I took my little reading break I just started reading up on European history and I'll probably pick that back up soon.

Christian non-fiction - I hate leadership books and will normally not touch them (Sorry, John Maxwell). Since that takes care of 90% of Christian lit. it doesn't leave me much. Besides reference works I will mostly read stuff by guys I know I won't agree 100% with. I'm thinking about starting another Donald Miller book soon.

Fiction - I mostly read either horror or fantasy when it comes to fiction. Most Christians steer clear of these two genres because they are filled with magic and other unholy things, but I don't think any other genres come as close to grasping the ideas behind the true struggle of good and evil or friendship and faith. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Song of Fire and Ice book by George Martin as well as the last Harry Potter book so I can get some closure.

Christian fiction - Let me know when somebody figures this one out.

Magazines - I like news magazines such as Time and Newsweek. They keep me up to date on stuff I need to know. I'm still mad that my subscription to Time hasn't got here yet. As for Christian mags, I don't have any at the moment I'm in to but I'll keep checking.

Blogs - For the last year I've been reading a lot of blogs. Now, I only read three or four church planting blogs on a regular basis. I also have a few friends that blog on occasion that I read. I actually find myself enjoying these more than the blogs of other church planters. Nothing against other planters' blogs, I find it very helpful to hear what other Churches are doing, but as we get closer to launch I find myself more interested in the lives of the people close to me than those of a church in the next state.

Bible - I thought I should mention that I do read this too.

No comments: