Monday, April 16, 2007

Emotional Logic

I talked this Sunday about how our brains are there to keep our emotions in check and keep us from doing stupid things. I talked about of emotions are good things, but when left unchecked by logic, they can get us into trouble. I know this to be true in most cases , but today I've been thinking about how there are exceptions to this rule.

When I decided to plant a church, it was logic that was screaming at me to do anything else. When I went to college my logic told me it was impossible financially, but in my heart I knew it was where I was supposed to be. Marrying my wife, excepting Jesus, having children, none of these where logical decisions when I first made them even if they did turn out to be smart moves after all.

I think there is a definite balance, but it seems like God uses our emotions just as much as our minds to reach us at times. Maybe this is what happens when we read something or hear something that moves us but we don't know why. At times I think God uses our hearts to communicate with us when our heads won't listen.

We need both I think. Our emotions to teach us what our heads can never understand, and our logic to keep our emotions from running to far with the things that take wisdom.

No comments: