Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Question

I'm working on a message about temptation and I came across a question that I've been trying to answer. Hebrews 4:15 says that Jesus was tempted in every way just as we are but remained with out sin. So this means temptation itself isn't sin. The problem is that coveting is a sin. Temptation is a desire and coveting is to desire yet one is sin and the other is not.

I know there are some clear cut areas where something is coveting and others where there may be temptation but no coveting, but where is the line drawn?

It's funny how when you are in a position to teach people something you find out everything that you are yet to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats very interesting actually. I guess how I would look at it is, Jesus was tempted but did not give into the temptation so it was not a sin. Covet is more of a negative term and is different from temptation because it generally means to desire something that belongs to another person therefore making it a sin. In any case, you make a valid point and Im not even sure if what I said made a whole lot of sense

Sandi said...

Sounds like a good message. Do you podcast your sermons?

Shaun Bell said...

Thanks. We are going to begin podcasting soon, but I don't know if it will be up and running by next week or not. It should be on our website soon either way.